November 12, 2021
Transport From Edmonton to the West Coast
Hydrogen Gas Pipeline
- Used the Northern Gateway 1,150 km Right of Way as a proxy to deliver Hydrogen Gas to Kitimat.
NH3 by rail requires slightly pressurized tanks like NGLs. CN Rail tariff to Prince Rupert used as a proxy with cost assumed at USD$0.09/tonne-mile for NH3.
MCH by rail can be shipped simply in crude oil tanks. CN Rail tariff to Prince Rupert used as a proxy with cost assumed at USD$0.10/tonne-mile for MCH.
- CN Rail to Prince Rupert (1,460) or Lower Mainland (1,100 Km)
- CP Rail to Lower Mainland (1,300 Km)
Government of Canada mandates minimum liability insurance coverage under Safe and Accountable Rail Act.
- USD$192M for 100,000 – < 1.5 million tonnes of oil per year
- USD$0.77B for >= 1.5 million tonnes of oil per year
Act creates a supplementary shipper-financed fund to be used in the event of accident. Shippers would have to pay > USD$1.35 per tonne of crude oil. In addition, the railway may increase service fees in case of high insurance premiums.